U, Me aur Hum
|U, Me aur Hum|
Movie poster for U, Me aur Hum.
|Directed by||Ajay Devgan|
|Produced by||Ajay Devgan|
|Written by||Ajay Devgan
|Music by||Vishal Bharadwaj|
|Editing by||Dharmendra Sharma|
|Distributed by||Devgan Entertainment Software Ltd.
|Release date(s)||April 11, 2008|
|Running time||157 min|
|Budget||Rs 25 crore|
U, Me aur Hum (translates as: You, me and us) is a 2008 Bollywood film directed and produced by Ajay Devgan under Devgan Entertainment Software Ltd. and Eros Entertainment. The film, which marks Devgan's debut as a director stars him alongside his wife Kajol in their seventh film together. Other actors like Karan Khanna, Isha Sharvani, Sumeet Raghavan and Divya Dutta also star in the film. Written by Devgan himself and three other writers, the film released on April 11, 2008 on around 450 cinemas with 150 of them being digital screens.
The film was launched with a mahurat ceremony at Manoranjan Studio, Andheri on May 2, 2007 by actors Ajay Devgan and Kajol. The cast shot for the film on a cruise liner for a period of five days from May 5th to May 25th and later continued shooting at the Filmistan Studios in Mumbai.
On April 6, 2008, Member of Parliament, Ravi Shankar Prasad arranged a special screening of the film for former critic turned politician L.K. Advani and his wife. After watching the film, Advani gave a standing ovation when the credits were rolled. The screening was also attended by politician Sushma Swaraj and the cast of the film.
Ajay (Ajay Devgan) is on a cruise with four of his friends. Nikhil (Sumeet Raghavan) and Reena (Divya Dutta) are an unhappily married couple whilst Vicky (Karan Khanna) and Natasha (Isha Sharvani) are a happily unmarried couple. Over there, Ajay meets Piya (Kajol) and falls in love with her. After a disastrous first meeting, Ajay tries everything to woo her but Piya doesn't fall for it. Eventually, by sheer perseverance, he dances his way into her heart and the two get married. Everything is expected to be happy until Piya is diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. The domestic situation of the happy couple becomes difficult following a major incident caused due to Piya's disease where the couple's son is almost killed. Ajay reluctantly decides to place Piya in special care. Though Piya is unaware of her surroundings in the beginning, there happen to be times when she seems to be normal and remembers everything. She longs for Ajay and becomes depressed when he doesn't respond. When Ajay decides to take Piya back home in spite of her illness, she forgets Ajay and if she comes back home she would make life difficult for Ajay. However, in the end of the film, it shows that they, along with their son, are celebrating their 25th anniversery together on a cruise. The plot of this movie is inspired by the 2004 Hollywood movie The Notebook.
- Ajay Devgan as ... Ajay
- Kajol as ... Piya
- Karan Khanna as ... Vicky
- Isha Sharvani as ... Natasha
- Sumeet Raghavan as ... Nikhil
- Divya Dutta as ... Reena
- Producer: Ajay Devgan
- Director: Ajay Devgan
- Story: Ajay Devgan, Akash Khurana, Robin Bhatt & Sutanu Gupta
- Screenplay: Sutanu Gupta, Akash Khurana & Robin Bhatt
- Dialogues: Ashwani Dheer
- Lyrics: Munna Dhiman
- Music: Vishal Bharadwaj
- Choreography: Ashley Lobo & Ganesh Acharya
- Editing: Dharmendra Sharma
- Costume Design: Anna Singh & Manish Malhotra
The film opened to an average response of 40-50% at several places but due to good reports, the collections got better as the day progressed in the multiplexes of big cities. The late shows were reported to have collections of over 60%.
Critics' reviews towards the movie were mostly positive, with Taran Adarsh giving the film 4 out of 5 stars and describing it as "a well-made, absorbing love story that's high on the emotional quotient". The performances by the lead pair were also praised. Taran Adarsh further commented, "U, Me aur Hum is like a medal that glimmers on Ajay Devgan's body of work. He's exceptional! Kajol, well, what can you say of an actress who has proved herself time and again? That she's undoubtedly the best has been proved yet again." Raja Sen noted, "Kajol raises the bar strikingly high... And Devgan...[delivers] an intense acting job."
Devgan's direction also won favorable reviews. Raja Sen further noted, "Ajay Devgan's first is an impressive directorial debut that starts abruptly but gathers force as it goes along, ending up finding its own voice [as] a powerful romantic drama." Despite winning good reviews for its performances and direction, the film was also criticized for its screenplay and length. Rajeev Masand from CNN-IBN wrote, "Devgan's directorial debut...is let down by a sloppy, slapdash screenplay" whilst Joginder Tuteja from indiaglitz.com wrote, "On the whole, U, Me aur Hum gets a little dragging primarily in the first half and is a little loose on its screenplay." Noyon Jyoti Parasara from AOL said, "Overall, Ajay Devgan's first movie is good but not good enough. It does make you laugh with the character during comic situations but does not, for once, make you cry for the sad moments." 
After ten days, the film collected a total of Rs. 410 Million (41 Cr.) worldwide.
|U, Me aur Hum|
|Studio album by Vishal Bharadwaj|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Vishal Bharadwaj chronology|
The film's soundtrack was released on February 16, 2008 by composer Vishal Bharadwaj, lyricist Munna Dhiman, and actors Ajay Devgan and Kajol. Critics were mostly positive towards the film's soundtrack. IndiaFM gave the film's soundtrack 3 ½ out of 5 stars and noted, "U Me Aur Hum is as much as Vishal Bhardwaj’s album as Munna Dhiman's. The lyricist had big boots to fill while coming in place of Gulzar Saab but he doesn't disappoint even one bit. On the other hand, singers like Adnan Sami, Shreya Ghoshal and Sunidhi Chauhan deliver their best to come out of their comfort zone and do something different for a soundtrack which breaks away from the stereotype and brings in a fresh sound."
|Jee Le||Adnan Sami & Shreya Ghoshal||5:09||Picturised on Ajay Devgan & Kajol|
|U, Me aur Hum||Shreya Ghoshal||6:38|
|Saiyaan||Sunidhi Chauhan||3:54||Picturised on Ajay Devgan & Kajol|
|Phatte||Adnan Sami & Sunidhi Chauhan||5:30||Picturised on Ajay Devgan & Kajol|
|Dil Dhakda Hai||Adnan Sami & Shreya Ghoshal||4:04||Picturised on Ajay Devgan & Kajol|
|U, Me aur Hum - Part 2||Vishal Bharadwaj||4:05||Picturised on Ajay Devgan & Kajol|
- ^ "Krazzy 4 Has A Big Release". U, Me aur Hum releases around 450 cinemas. Retrieved on 2008-04-12.
- ^ a b "Ajay Devgan turns director". Devgan's debut film launched at Manoranjan Studios. Retrieved on 2008-04-12.
- ^ "L.K. Advani gives standing ovation to U Me Aur Hum". Special screening of U, Me aur Hum held. Retrieved on 2008-04-12.
- ^ "Krazzy 4 Opens Well, U Me Aur Hum Poor". U, Me aur Hum opens to poor response but picks up. Retrieved on 2008-04-12.
- ^ "B.O. Update: Response to two diverse releases". U, Me aur Hum picks up collections due to good reports. Retrieved on 2008-04-12.
- ^ a b "Movie Review: U, Me aur Hum". Devgan's debut film earns good reviews. Retrieved on 2008-04-12.
- ^ a b "Ajay Devgan does well in U Me Aur Hum". Devgan's debut film is well-received. Retrieved on 2008-04-12.
- ^ "U, Me aur Hum: Movie Review". Devgan's debut film criticized for screenplay. Retrieved on 2008-04-12.
- ^ Template:Http://www.aol.in/bollywood/story/2008041102369019000002/index.html
- ^ "U, Me Aur Hum grosses Rs 410 mn worldwide in 10 days". U, Me aur Hum doing well. Retrieved on 2008-04-27.
- ^ "Music Review: U, Me aur Hum". U, Me aur Hum's soundtrack releases to positive reviews from critics. Retrieved on 2008-04-12.